Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I can't spell OR say gong xi fa choi

Rachel arrived in Hong Kong a little over a week ago. We spent the weekend there (post to come, as always, but you can check out Dan's take while you're waiting) and came back to Zhuhai on Monday night. We spent last week basically doing nothing but eating and getting massages. I love being on vacation.

This past Sunday was Rachel new year. Since Chevy's Mexican Restaurant doesn't exist in China, we decided to make our own fajitas. When we left the house to do some shopping we found our neighborhood completely empty, since it was also Chinese New Year's Eve. Zhuhai is a relatively young city that has grown exponentially in the last 20 years, so most people packed up and went home to set off fireworks, eat dumplings, and give each other lucky red envelopes. I wasn't sure if Sunday or Monday would be a bigger fireworks day. Well, it's Wednesday evening and people are still setting off firecrackers, so I guess I didn't have to worry about missing the show.

The supermarket is open but my gym is still closed, and since the electronics and computer stores beneath our building are also closed it's still really quiet in our neighborhood, except for the frequent explosions. It has also been fairly grey and chilly since the year of the ox began. But my biggest disappointment so far is that the bread family is still off visiting their family. Here is a picture of Rachel enjoying their product in happier times.


I don't know if I've ever written about this delicious food before, but it's basically thin garlic bread cooked quickly on the street. You can have them brush spice on it if you like. I spend a lot of time wandering my district of Zhuhai looking for the bread guy. I hope he's having a happy new year and that he comes back soon!

2 comments:

mullins said...

Does the bread guy also sell Miller High Life? Just asking.

Liz said...

I bet he could stash a tiny beer fridge in his bread cart.